Friends

24 September 2013

TUESDAY'S TITBITS


It maybe only once a week that I'm able or inclined to post something on the blog but I shall value the allotted time like a baby values a dummy. It will be no surprise to my friends to read that I've missed the regular contact with the blogging world. Anyway, enough of that sentimental stuff, I'll move on.

A few weeks ago I saw a group of ladies performing at a recent Townswomen’s Guild meeting. The group is known as Music in Motion and they promote sign language through participation. They seemed to be singing but in fact they were miming to music and ‘signing’ at the same time. One of the group members was deaf but none of us guessed until the end.

Music in Motion is a Birmingham based group of deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing people, who use British Sign Language in a unique way to interpret popular songs by performing lyrics in sign language.  This creates pathways between deaf and hearing communities with music and Sign Language.  Their aim is to promote deaf awareness and to introduce the arts to the deaf community.

Music in Motion has visited a variety of venues throughout the country and is frequently invited to give repeat performances!  All funds raised are donated to projects that support the deaf community.  This is only made possible because of the generosity of the general public.


I feel very frustrated right now because for two days I have left comments on a blog and on both occasions it hasn't got through. So if you're looking in, Herman, the comments were for you.

On the subject of blogging, does anyone know how to remove an unwanted follower? No, it’s not any of you wonderful people. I checked out the latest blogger to join the list but was warned off. According to the listed blogs they’re erotic and one is listed as a sex shop. Each to their own but not for me, thank you very much. I’ve checked out the Blogger settings and cannot find out how to remove the name. The old style blogs catered for it but blowed if I can find it on the new one.


SKIN CARE
At last, an explanation.

Remember me writing about the problem I had using certain skincare products? Well, I have at last discovered what caused the redness, itching, and red weals on my face and neck. Actually, I already knew from years ago that Clarins products didn’t suit me, plus at that time there was a news article about someone suing the company for the same reason. My doctor described my problem as contact dermatitis but what caused it was a mystery!

Years later I was persuaded by the Clarins assistant to try again. She insisted that their products were pure and couldn’t affect anyone’s skin. I fell for it ... and wasted my money since the products were chucked in the bin when my face swelled and more weals appeared.

It was revealed on television just the other night that a certain skin protecting sun cream contained the same ingredient, something known as MI (methylisothiazolinone), which is added to stop the cream going mouldy. It is also used in paint strippers! It was stated that it was an ingredient in Clarins skincare products.  

I do know that one of the other leading skincare companies produced a toner that also upset my skin. I can't recall the name now but I can recall when I last used it. After using it I noticed some hardened spots of hair lacquer on the mirror. Without thinking I rubbed the spots with the already impregnated cotton wool pad. Would you believe it cleared the lacquer completely? I kept that product solely for cleaning the mirror, duly marked so that it couldn't accidentally be used for anything else!

Here’s an extract from The Telegraph 

‘The preservative – known as MI – is used in a wide range of shampoos, moisturisers and shower gels as well as make-up and baby wipes.
But dermatologists warn people are being exposed to much higher doses than before, leading to a steep rise in allergies known as contact dermatitis where the skin becomes red and itchy and can sting and blister.
Experts say the chemical is second only to nickel in causing contact allergies. One in 12 adults and one in five children in the UK now have eczema, of which contact dermatitis is one of the most common types.
MI, which is short for methylisothiazolinone, is a preservative which is also found in paint. It is added to products to prevent unwanted growth of bacteria and yeasts.
Well-known products that contain MI found on sale in shops included Nivea body lotion, Wet Ones and Boots men's face wash.’

I have to say that since using Nivea Soft (thank you, Ron) my skin is now silky soft and feels (and looks!) luxurious.


20 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to post.
    Any snippet from 'our Val'
    is always welcome.

    I had forgotten about Nivea ..
    at the moment I am enjoying
    Bath and Body Works lotion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad and I also use Nivea soft, especially after shaving. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mm putting paint stripper on your face....geez....pretty crazy what they come up with eh?

    always good to see you val....

    i am not a fan of the new comment box on some blogs...i think it is a google plus box....ugh....not good...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to buy that Nivea cream, thanks Valerie! Hope someone can help you on deleting your unwanted follower. I had the same issue a while ago and never did find a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking I really would have liked that performance. I've always been intrigued by signing for some reason.

    And no, I don't have a clue how to lose followers. LOL I think you have to have 'em to lose 'em? ;-) NOT so sure I'd be thrilled about having a sex shop as a follower--but if they're gonna, make the most of it and send 'em Ron's way. You know how he adores 'those' emails. And you've SEEN what he does with fruits and veggies...Maybe in appreciation for the Nivea recommendation! ROFLMAO

    *ahem* That being said--pretty sure I can safely say folks have missed your presence though we HUGELY understand the need to be where you are right now. We just want to know how things are progressing and that you're 'okay' as you can be, given the circumstances, yaknow? Cuz it matters to us.
    Plain and simple.

    We'll keep praying and sending positive thoughts. You keep taking care of you and letting people help as they offer.
    *HUGE hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you know that sign language is different in each country? Here it is called "ASL" or "American Sign Language". I went to school for 5 years to learn the language and to be an interpreter. (I am not interpreting anymore.) But if I went to England and signed, many signs would be different!

    I, too, was having problems with breaking out by using different make-up, but it was because of a different ingredient. I wrote down the MI ingredient you talked about so I can check what I have and know what not to buy! Thanks!

    Still keeping Joe in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "This creates pathways between deaf and hearing communities with music and Sign Language. Their aim is to promote deaf awareness and to introduce the arts to the deaf community."

    Oh, how WONDERFUL, Valerie! I have always wanted to learn sign language because I actually think it's a beautiful way of communicating.

    Not sure how to remove a follower because I've never used that feature on blogger.

    *laughing at Mel's comment*

    Interesting to read about that skincare ingredient. Doesn't it amaze you the stuff they put in some products? And even though they're listed, we still don't really know what they are.

    Glad to hear you're still enjoying Nivea Soft. Isn't it an awesome product? I just bought another jar as a matter of fact. LOVE that stuff!

    So glad to see that you posted today, dear lady. Just know that we all understand your absence from blogging right now and appreciate your efforts to post whenever you can.

    You are LOVED and thought of...

    (((((((( You ))))))))

    Hope all is going well with Joe.

    X to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use Neutrogena products almost exclusively. I seem to get along with them fine (so far).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mersad, Nivea Soft must be good if men use it as well as women.

    Brian, it's difficult to believe but it's the truth.

    Denise, the cream is all it says it is... silky soft.

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. Hi Val....Go to your "Followers" list, and find the name of the person or blog you want to block, and click on their name...a window will pop up with several choices, one of which is Block User or Block This User. Click on that. That should do it. I think after you click on that, one more little window pops up telling you they'll be blocked . . . blah blah. Hope this works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mel, I love your comments. You always make me smile. You had Ron laughing as well. Oh what fun we bloggers have! I am taking care of myself, as you'll see on my next post.

    Pat, I hope you are able to control the skin outbreaks... they're not pleasant. Interesting that you learned how to sign... and thanks for the info about different signs for different countries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ron, it's a pity there's not room on a product to get an explanation of an ingredient as well as its name. I don't usually like the way the media deals with things but on this occasion I am grateful.

    I knew you would laugh at Mel's comment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mona, thanks for the PS re removal of followers. I used to be able to do it the way you describe but the new template doesn't seem to cater for removal. Now it seems there is no choice but to put up with something.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no...your comments aren't coming through? Hmmm...just checked my spam file and yep, there are your comments. I fear that I might have accidentally listed one of your comments as spam, and that triggered my spam filter to reject your comments. I've approved your rejected comments and just submitted a test comment under your name and was successful. Here's hoping that it's been fixed. I'm awfully sorry about that, Valerie! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Herman, I'm glad you've discovered that I'm not really spam... grins. Everything okay today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good morning Valerie!

    Just wanted to stop by and give you a hug and let you know that I'm thinking of you....

    (((((((( You )))))))

    Hope your week is going well.

    X to you and Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How kind you are, Ron. Thank you so much xx. Tomorrow I take Joe back to hospital for treatment and an overnight stay (?). The surgeon rang to say he needed more treatment before they can even entertain the idea of chemo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had a couple of weirdo followers and there was a way to do it with the latest version of Blogger. I think I had to google it to find out how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was glad you were able to post, and I think most of us will agree that we will take whatever we can get from you as we all know you have quite a bit going on. Good to hear about the skin problem, and I don't believe there is much you can do about unwanted comments. I have the same problem occasionally with a neanderthal who leaves dumb thoughts on my blog. Take care Val and I hope things are going well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I smiled about your comment re: the bow tie knit scarf Val! It would be great to see yours, I'm curious about the color. ;>)

    you mention Boots, do you have those drug stores where you live? we had a Boots for a short time in another province that I lived and I thought it was a great store.

    glad you solved your skin care woes. yet another reason that I steer clear of products with a lot of chemical ingredients in them. if I can't pronounce it, I don't buy it.

    hope everything is going as well as it can right now. take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete

If you're new to A Mixed Bag you might find something to interest you, a bit of mirth, a story or two, or some pictures. I'm so pleased you popped in, do leave a comment if you have time.